Code for Life, inspiring the next generation of technologists
Welcome to the Ocado Technology Webinars, where you can hear from the people building the ground-breaking, game-changing technology that powers Ocado, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer.
In this webinar Celine Boudier, Code for Life team leader, talks about how a group of volunteers at Ocado Technology are creating an educational platform to inspire the next generation of technologists.
- Education is one of the four core values of the Ocado Group, alongside promoting entrepreneurship, protecting the environment, and encouraging people to eat well
- Teaching children to program is not just about nurturing future software engineers but also providing everyone with a meta-skill that has a transformative potential in our increasingly digital world
- Many educators find teaching their students the basic skills and thinking required for programming much more difficult than explaining the syntax of a programming language
- Rapid Router is an educational game from Code for Life that focuses on developing the logical thinking skills required for programming in primary school children
- The Rapid Router package includes many other resources for teachers looking to teach computing, including full lessons plans, code examples, classroom activities and more
0:15: Code for Life is an initiative aiming to address the challenges faced by educators teaching computing in primary schools
1:12: The project is mostly volunteer-based but also includes a robust full-time team made up of software interns and a UX expert from Ocado Technology
1:34: Understanding the fundamentals of programming is a life skill for many children growing up in an increasingly online world
3:30: Code for Life has been designed to help teachers help students interested in computing
6:13: How Rapid Router helps children migrate progressively from Blockly to Python
6:44: Alongside the actual game, teachers have access to a portal where they can create virtual classrooms and register new students
7:05: The design of the Code for Life portal and Rapid Router game is based on different teacher personas created after extensive user research and interviews
9:30: Code for Life also focuses on bridging the gap between gaining basic computing skills and being competent at programming
10:25: The next big educational game from Code for Life will target secondary schools and will teach the basics of AI and Python
11:12: The Code for Life team is also working on creating a mobile app version of Rapid Router using C# and the Unity game engine, and translating the games into other languages
12:24: An overview of the technology stack currently in use for Rapid Router and future games
14:00: Ways to learn more and contribute to the project, including our GitHub profiles for Code for Life, Rapid Router and our upcoming AI game, social media channels (Twitter, Facebook) and translation website.
More about our webinars
You can keep up to date with the webinars by subscribing to our YouTube channel. This article provides clickable links that take you directly to the highlighted part of the video clip.